Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Eve of Departure

It's 8:45 pm and I'm curled up on the couch watching Gravity while Jim plays the saxophone (and quite well, I may add) at some event on the other side of town.  Our bags are packed and stacked against the bedroom wall.  The house is clean and laundry washed - oh, that reminds me - I need to put it in the dryer!  And Shadow is comfortably curled up in front of the fire.  It's awfully calm in here considering we fly out tomorrow afternoon.




This is the biggest trip I have ever taken and there isn't an ounce of nerves, excitement, or otherwise floating around this house tonight.  It feels like any other night and I can't explain why.  Perhaps because I have planned every detail for the next 2 days and do not feel the need to worry.  Or maybe it's because my good friend Mr. Orich once (OK, a few times) reminded me there is no point in worrying about the "what if's".  It could also be, quite simply, because I know deep down that embarking on this journey is simply the right thing to do at this stage in my life.

Jim and I will certainly miss hanging out with many of you over the next three months, and I apologize in advance for my potential failure to send the usual happy birthday messages.  We'll be thinking about our friends and family along every step of the way and wishing you could be there with us.  But since you won't be, a postcard or two will have to suffice!

2 comments:

  1. Go with the flow and have fun. We'll be thinking of (and envying) you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about England, no excitement - but it was the best trip of my life! You're going to have an amazing time>

    ReplyDelete